Thursday, July 24, 2014

Day 12: El Presidente

Today was the big day - the final day of IYLC and the day of the European Union Parliamentary Simulation. Admittedly I was quite nervous as we went over our final preparations for parliament. By this time everyone else was starting to feel the effects of staying up to watch the sunrise - me, being the ever non-fun type, getting some well deserved sleep instead - I would have a full day in Dubai on Saturday so I didn't have time for shenanigans. Needed to keep healthy so I can enjoy my Desert Safari. However, just because everyone was tired or sick didn't mean they couldn't cause problems during the Simulation - particularly members of the conservative party who were already being frustrated.

So for breakfast I sat and reread the rules of the simulation over and over again. I also ate (duh).

Unfortunately the Czech Senate wasn't available for our simulation, which was a shame. It would have totally awesome to actually sit in the Czech Senate (particularly as President) but because Prague is such an old and beautiful place, we went to another beautiful old building, Cerge El, that felt just as classy and fancy. Marc and I even managed to take some time to have a photoshoot completed - just because.

Two big power-brokers just having a chat
After everything was sorted and everyone settled down, the simulation began. It reminded me a lot like Youth Parliament and very quickly the Conservative Party started causing trouble. Aside from some blatant disrespect and a lot of objections, I had one speaker sing the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song - which would have been fine (if timewasting) had the rest of the participants not started to join in. The hardest part was when one of the participants moved to have me deposed as President - a move which was defeated comfortably (thank goodness). The real highlight was during the final vote when, in a point of protest, the entire conservative party left the room. I was left a little disappointed that speakers did not get up and speak more, nor seem to engage in any form of debate as such - although I believe that was more due to the makeup of the parties being so limited (two progressives v. one conservative) that left people feeling a little lack-luster. That and a lack of sleep. Still, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and afterwards we had time for a few happy snaps.

I got the power! 
A quick selfie
The team all at the Presidential Table.
Because of how short our simulation ran, we got a bit of free time. I went back to the hotel - mostly because I wasn't wearing shoes to go running around Prague - and relaxed - ducking down to the nearest convenience store to grab some afternoon tea. Sadly, our final dinner wasn't going to be at the house of the Black Madonna, but instead held at the hotel. Still, we had an awesome time until we were kicked out of the dining room for playing loud music late at night. So instead we hit the streets of Prague. We stopped by a comic book club and then a big group headed off to the five storey nightclub near the town centre. It was getting late and I needed to finish packing for tomorrow, so I came home.

The IYLC was a great experience, full of amazing people. They really make to re-evaluate what you've achieved and realise that anything is possible. I've had an amazing time and I couldn't have asked for a better bunch of people to spend my first week as a 20 year old with. I am sad to be leaving - although excited to be on the final stretch! As there is nothing much on tomorrow and I'll be on a plane for most of it, I don't expect to be posting. Instead, I'll give you all the goss of my no doubt super exciting plane trip from Dubai.

No comments:

Post a Comment