Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 9: Happy Birthday to Me!

Today started just like any other. I rolled out of bed nice and early, got dressed in business attire, loitered in the lobby for internet before having a quick breakfast (which was a super yummy buffet!) I hadn't mentioned to anyone that it was my 20th birthday. I didn't know anyone at the conference yet really! Like anyone would be more than polite if I mentioned it. Not important.

I arrived at the group room on time and found everyone else was already there. Then they started singing happy birthday, which was super embarrassing. Asimah, my facilitator, brought out a candle and a"cake", which was actually a plate of lollies. They had also organised a card for me, signed by everyone at the conference - which is super crazy cause I hadn't even really met anyone. Anyway, the "cake" was shared amongst the group and then we got started on our preparation for the Model United Nations.

"CAKE" - Marc on the left, Marcus on the right.
We started by learning a little about how the United Nations works. I was intrigued by the slightly different operation of this MUN; there was no resolution put forward, just a topic of discussion. However, my experience in Model United Nations proved extremely useful to assist in the answering of questions by other participants.

The topic was regarding the Syrian Civil War and the potential sanctions of the Syrian Government for crimes against their population. I really wanted to be China, because I enjoy being overpowered and cripplingly non-interventionist. Complaining about state sovereignty is so much fun! However, first the roles in the MUN were allocated, with Marcus being awarded Chairperson. The countries were then handed out, with China given the chair as they were first on the list. Whilst I was disappointed not to have received the country of my dreams, I was able to get the Russian Federation.

After a fifteen minute research period, the MUN began. It was an incredibly intense experience, particularly with Marc as the United Kingdom. He had the upper hand given his political background, but that just made it all the more fun to argue with him. I really enjoyed getting into character and Asimah noted that she was terrified of me and would have just started agreeing with me during speeches. So, mission accomplished I guess!

The best part of the MUN was during caucus when Marc (UK) and I had a huge argument about democracy. Being Russia, I supported the Syrian Regime and claimed that they had been democratically elected. Obviously, this put me at odds with UK who called Assad a dictator. So there was a loud, aggressive argument where I asked Marc why he hates democracy and freedom. Also, many a speech was given with snide sarcastic backhand remarks about the other country was also presented. Not the most diplomatic, but certainly the most fun.

Welcome to the Security Council

Kughan, myself, Marc and Miriam

Dropping the Sass - look at Marc's face!

After lunch we went to the Pakistani Embassy and met the Ambassador. It was a very interesting time, to hear about Pakistan and its foreign policy, a country I will admit I am not too familiar with. I thought it was great to have the opportunity to learn about another country from their perspective, particularly one with such controversial policies, especially regarding nuclear weapons.

Our group at the Embassy with the Ambassador
That was all that really happened today. We started our preparation for the International Criminal Court simulation regarding the indictment of Omar Al Bashir, President of Sudan. I'm hoping I'll be able to put myself into a quieter position and let the others have a go at being the loud and obnoxious one - I think I intimidated too many people today.

No comments:

Post a Comment